We are all responsible for the future of our children.
All activities and organisations have some impact upon the environment and CDUK wish to minimise our carbon footprint where possible.
To this end, CDUK will continuously seek to improve environmental performance and to reduce pollution, emissions and waste, monitoring our performance annually. CDUK will educate and train trustees and supporters on environmental issues and the environmental effects of their activities.
In the office, CDUK will:
- Only print when necessary
- Print in draft quality
- Print on both sides of paper
- Recycle ink cartridges
- Reuse scrap paper
- Recycle all used paper
- Reuse packaging materials
- Not use plastic bags as bin liners.
- Use biodegradable chemicals and minimise the use of solvents and lead-based paints.
- Use recycled timber or timber from sustainably managed forests.
- Use low energy light bulbs and switch off lights when not in use.
- Keep room temperatures at 19c or below
- Minimise the toilet water flush levels.
- Buy recycled office furniture
- Use eco-friendly cleaning products and fair trade tea and coffee.
- Turn off all electrical equipment at night and change old computer monitors for more efficient flat screens
- Travel by bus or train where it is not possible to walk, only travelling by car on CDUK business when necessary.
- Encourage car-sharing by colleagues where appropriate.
- Only travel abroad when absolutely necessary, remaining abroad for longer in order to complete several projects.
Supporters, Volunteers, and the Community
- Raise awareness, encourage participation and train supporters in environmental matters, liaising with the local community.
- Participate in discussions about environmental issues.
- Encourage fundraising activities using recycled materials such as jumble sales, nearly new sales, bring and buy sales, clothes swaps, car boot sales, auctions and book swaps.
- Discourage the use of disposable items such as plastic cups, plates and cutlery.
- Publish our environment policy on our website.
The Trustees of CDUK will hold an annual environmental audit.
CDUK will sign up to the Governments Third Sector Declaration at everyactioncounts.org.uk and commit to taking action to tackle climate change throughout our organisation and community.
CDUK will encourage environmentally sustainable solutions at our overseas projects, such as wind and solar power for energy and water production, biofuel tanks to produce gas for cooking. We will seek to discuss and inform projects of the importance of maintaining our vital ecosystems and working within necessary boundaries. We encourage the planting of fruit trees and other species at all our projects as standard.
Compassion Direct UK 14/06/2020